Learning To Love Yourself
Can you honestly say that you love yourself? Love yourself, unconditionally at this very moment? Or are you waiting to lose those extra 15 pounds you’ve been trying to lose for the last 5 years? Are you happy with your decision making or do you focus on your regrets? It is so easy to focus on your faults and insecurities because we are always reminded about them when we see someone with a better body, a better job, family, home and/or car. Being unhappy with ourselves makes us envious of others. The more we wish to be like others the more we dislike ourselves.
You may also be too busy focusing on others instead of caring for and loving yourself. Some people don’t like to be alone because they don’t know what to do. It’s not shocking that they don’t love themselves because they don’t know anything about themselves. The journey to self-love, can be hindered if the person isn’t comfortable being alone.
I was one of those people who placed my family before myself. I was raised thinking this was the appropriate way of taking care of your family. I not only placed my wants lasts but I disregarded my needs also. Once my children became independent I no longer had any excuses as to why I wasn’t taking care of myself.
Why Is It So Important To Love Yourself?
Being in love with yourself provides you with self-confidence, self-worth and it will generally help you feel more positive. You may also find that it is easier for you to fall in love once you have learned to love yourself first.
If you can learn to love yourself, you will be much happier and will learn how to best take care of yourself. When you are truly in love with yourself and happy, you should stop comparing yourself to others so much and should find yourself more confident, not worrying as much about what others think.
1. Know that you are a unique, special, and wonderful person living this life for a reason. We were all born into our own lives to live out our own purposes. Your spirit chose this body, and chose all that comes with it. If you think about it in these terms, you can really grasp how amazing it is to be you.
2. Don’t compare yourself to anyone else. We’ve talked a lot about comparison and why it really isn’t in your best interest. Instead of making your beliefs about yourself based on how you measure up against someone else, believe in yourself, your uniqueness, and your own power.
3. Accept exactly how you are in this moment. Sure, we go through phases in our lives where physically, we’re just not where we want or think we should be. Let that mentality go and just know that if you are in a change or flux, be gentle with yourself and love yourself anyways.
4. Trust and know your own magnificence. When you stop and really think about it, we are all living, breathing, and amazing people. Remember this often.
5. Connect and cultivate a relationship with your Self. Take time every day to just sit with yourself (with absolutely no distractions!). It could be for one minute or one hour, but by sitting in silence and listening to the breath we tap into that inner self, intuition, highest Self that guides us in this life.
6. Make a list of all that you are grateful for. Gratitude can immediately change those negative thoughts to positive. If you’re feeling down on yourself, sit down and physically write all that you’re grateful for. Instant mood booster!
7. Practice self-care; make yourself your priority. Take good care of yourself, everyday! Whatever that means for you is fine, but you should essentially be eating well, getting rest, managing your stress, and finding quiet time. When you feel good, your feelings about yourself will follow!
8. Forgive yourself for your mistakes. Reflecting on your mistakes can help you to forgive and forget. If you can look back at some poor choices you may have made, and forgive yourself, you can start to move on and forget about the past. Loving yourself despite any mistakes you made in the past is great for your self-worth.
9. Take care of yourself. This one probably seems obvious, but taking care of yourself plays a big part in learning how to love yourself, and a lot of people do not do it. If you take care of yourself, you will be the best version of yourself. Take a look at my self-care ideas to get you started.