What is Tantra?
Traditional Tantra is an ancient spiritual practice which originated in India several thousand years ago.
Tantra is best understood as a form of Yogic practice, which includes sexual and non-sexual teachings designed to transform human consciousness, remove the veils of ignorance and realize ‘enlightenment’.
Traditional Buddhist Tantra began with the Buddha Shakyamuni nearly 2,600 years ago. These teachings spread throughout South East Asia, China, and Tibet.
Some Tantric traditions define the word ‘Tantra’ as ‘the practice of weaving light and sound with form.’
By this definition the body represents form, light represents specific visualizations, and sound is represented by chanting mantric syllables.
The process of weaving light and sound with form gives rise to a profound transformation of human consciousness, and ultimately, the full realization of enlightenment – which simply means ‘freedom from suffering’.
These ‘weaving’ practices are done at first non-sexually in order to build an understanding and relationship to the practice.
They are then applied to sexual ‘play’ in order to consciously utilize the powerful energies generated during sexual pleasure. These energies are then directed to healing and enriching body, mind and spirit.
In the Western world, there are a variety of different sacred sexual practices which are referred to as “Tantra”. Some of these practices are more traditionally based such as Taoist sexual yoga, Hindu Tantra and Tibetan Tantra.
Other styles of ‘tantra’, such as the Native American Quodoushka, are rooted in shamanistic healing practices from indigenous cultures around the world.
Today, the word Tantra can mean anything from a meditation class to an erotic massage, but the underlying theme in all of these modalities is cultivating consciousness.
From this perspective, I’ve defined Tantra not as a religion; it is a holistic lifestyle practice for integrating body, mind, spirit and sex, so that you can experience more happiness, more peace, more joy, more connection, and more love in every area of your life.
What Can Tantra Achieve?
- Helps raise the vibration of sexual energy, so it can be used for healing and spiritual transformation.
- Helps develop sexual potency and improves sex drive.
- Helps cure sexual dysfunction and sexual phobias.
- Helps prolong sexual intercourse.
- Helps cure erectile dysfunction.
- Increases your overall level of energy and vitality.
- Significantly develops lower body strength and flexibility.
- Tones legs and buttocks.
- Awakens, heals and balances the Sex Chakra (Swadhisthan Chakra)..
- Stimulates Kundlaini to Awaken.
- Improves sperm strength and sperm count.
- Helps balance hormonal levels.
- Develops self-expression, creativity and sensuality.